3 Major Differences Between
Web Scrapping and Web Crawling
5 min read | October 8, 2021
There are 3 Major differences between web scraping & web crawling, which many organizations misunderstand almost all the time. Web Scraping and Web crawling are two terms that are often used interchangeably in the Big data industry. This is a common perception that most of the users or enablers have in general. However, there are some major differences between web crawling and web scrapping. Further, these differences will give you a clear idea about both the terms. Let us walk through the article to understand the 3 major differences between web scraping and web crawling.
Understanding the Terminologies:
Web Crawling is a Process by which, a specialized bot often called a “Spider”, crawls over numerous websites and URLs. Further, it spots the relevant content and then gathers the crawled URLs and Websites. Meaning, the crawled content is now kept in a particular place for the user to access it easily. This process is commonly known as Indexing. Often internet sites like Google, Yahoo, Bing are search engines that make utmost use of this service to bring relevant content to the User’s Intent.
Web Scraping is a process in which you can gather data from any source. Be it a website, or an excel sheet with a trillion-attribute data. Thus, from a process perspective, Web Scraping is more of a contextualized process when compared to Web crawling. This is because using Web Scrapping you can extract data under a particular topic. Like extracting the costs of a certain product or reviews of certain products and similar examples as well.
Requirements for the Process(Web Scraping and Web Crawling):
In the case of Web Crawling,
- To crawl across multiple websites within a short span, you must build a system with a Versatile architecture. This system must be able to crawl amidst changes in the websites.
One should keep in mind not to harm the target websites. So, it is mandatory to design a crawler that acts in a polite manner.
Being Language neutral is a considerable expectation from the audience side, which can help businesses target websites all around the globe in multiple languages.
- A good crawler over multiple sites and help compress the collected links and data, to enhance storage demands making the system more efficient in the overall process.
In the case of Web Scrapping,
Since, scrapping scenarios are illegal in certain use cases, it is highly important to design a framework that is clearly ethical as possible.
- Being ready with Proper APIs of websites, which can help recover data from websites.
To carry out a perfect scrapping scenario, make sure that you have the apt third-party HTML libraries. These Libraries helps in sending HTTP requests to the URLs of the target website.
- Parsing of data from the extracted HTML format, making it easier to organize data in the demanded format.
Business Use Cases for Web Scraping and Web Crawling:
Web Crawling Use cases include:
- Monitoring News content across various media platforms.
- Lead Generation (Getting contact details of Potential Clients)
- Competitor Research (Example: Price Monitoring)
- Monitoring Your Distributors
Web Scrapping Use cases include:
- Predictive analysis, wherein the process harvests data across multiple pages of websites, to get a clear-cut prediction.
- Insurance Companies make use of web scraping, to analyze risks before introducing a new policy to provide the best outcome of their offerings.
- Marketing Research teams of various companies make use of Web Scraping to get data from multiple websites by defining the requirements to understand the market space much better.
- Recruitment Companies collects job postings from various websites to provide the required Job opportunities to Job Seekers with the help of Web Scraping.
Therefore, Web Crawling and Web scraping are two sides of the same coin, where at times you find the concepts & the outputs to be much similar. However, from this blog, we hope you have understood some of the major differences between Web Crawling and Web Scrapping. If you are a business looking forward to Web Crawling or Web Scraping, help us understand your requirements by fixing a time when you are free for a discussion. We will help you by delivering results that will be beyond your expectations, as our global clients say.
For more details visit us at : BeezLabs
Check out our latest blog post on RPA tools and its productivity.